Steps to Enrollment
Step 1: Obtain Admission
Complete an application for admission either online or at any Walters State campus.
Pay one-time, non-refundable $10 application fee. (Please note that application fee must be submitted at time of application if submitting an application online.)
DEGREE- SEEKING STUDENTS
- Regular High School Diploma: Submit official high school transcript, which must include graduation date and diploma type.
- GED: Submit official GED scores. GED recipients must have at least a 450 composite score with no subject score below 410 for admission. Partial high school transcripts must also be submitted, if applicable.
- If applicable, submit official college transcripts from each previous institution attended.
- Submit Immunization Information
- Hepatitis B Immunization form: The Hepatitis B immunization is not required for admission, but the Hepatitis B form must be completed and signed. Click here for Hepatitis B form.
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR)/ Varicella (chicken pox) immunizations: Click here for certificate of immunization form and exemptions.
NON- DEGREE SEEKING STUDENTS
- Submit high school transcripts or GED scores.
- If applicable, submit all college transcripts. If a college degree has been earned, submit only transcripts from institution where highest degree was awarded.
- Students who have previously attended Walters State are required to submit an application for readmission . The application fee is not required if it has been previously submitted.
- Students who have attended another institution since their last term of enrollment at Walters State are also required to submit official transcripts.
Once an application for admission has been received and processed, students will receive a letter from the Admissions Office outlining the student's status and any documents needed to complete their admissions file. The student's ID number is also included in the letter.
Step 2: Apply for Financial Aid
Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step in applying for financial aid. Complete the FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Students should also complete a Walters State scholarship application. The scholarship deadline is March 15th for the upcoming academic year.
Financial Aid priority deadlines:
Fall: June 30
Spring: November 1
Walters State Federal Code: 008863
Once a student has applied for admission and financial aid, s/he may begin checking StarNETfor financial aid updates.
Only eligible students enrolled in approved degree/ certificate programs can receive financial aid.
Please visit the Financial Aid Office website for further information and the latest financial aid news. Students may also contact the Walters State Financial Aid office at 423.585.6811 or 1.800.225.4770, ext. 2.
Step 3: Submit Test Scores
- ACT/SAT: Degree-seeking students under the age of 21 with a regular high school diploma must provide valid ACT or SAT scores taken within the last three years. While Walters State will accept either national ACT scores or Walters State Residual ACT scores for admissions purposes, only national scores will be considered for the Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship. National test dates may be found at http://www.actstudent.org.
- COMPASS EXAM: Degree-seeking students over the age of 21 who have not taken a transferable college-level English and math will be required to take the COMPASS exam for placement purposes in English, math, and reading. GED recipients who do not have a prior college-level math or English may also take the COMPASS exam regardless of age.
To schedule a date to take the ACT Residual or COMPASS exam, please contact Counseling and Testing at 423.585.6800 or toll free at 1.800.225.4770, ext. 3.
Non-degree seeking students will not be permitted to enroll in math or English courses without transcripts documenting a college level math and English class or appropriate testing.
Step 4: Complete New Student Orientation
First-time degree seeking students are required to complete New Student Orientation. Students may complete orientation by choosing one of the following:
- On campus: Students may attend an orientation on campus in Morristown, Sevierville, or Greeneville. If a student attends an orientation on campus, s/he will have the opportunity to meet with an academic advisor and register while on campus. Step 5 is not required if the student meets with an advisor at orientation. To register for an on campus orientation, click here.
- Online: Orientation online may be completed to satisfy the orientation requirement. If online orientation is completed, the student will need to make an appointment with an academic advisor and register online via StarNET (see steps 5 and 6). Online orientation may be accessed here. Please note that it typically takes one business day for a student's orientation hold to be removed after completion of online orientation.
Readmit and transfer students are not required to complete New Student Orientation.
Step 5: Schedule an Advising Appointment
Once a student has obtained admission and submitted appropriate test scores or college transcripts, s/he may schedule an appointment to meet with an academic advisor. Advisors are determined by the student's major. For a list of contacts by major, click here. Degree-seeking students must meet with an academic advisor every semester prior to registration.
NON-DEGREE SEEKING STUDENTS
Non-degree seeking students are not required to meet with an academic advisor before registering; however, students should remember to bring college transcripts or submit appropriate test scores if a math or English course is desired.
STEP 6: REGISTER FOR CLASSES
Students are encouraged to complete their admissions file and register as soon as possible. Registering early allows for more flexibility when building a schedule as more course offering and times are available. For an academic calendar, click here. To register for classes, please visit StarNET.
Timetable of Classes
Not sure how to register for classes online? Below is a step by step guide.
add a course online or search for a class online
Register / Add a Course Online
A step by step guide to registering for classes online
- Access StarNET
- Click "LOGIN / ENTER SECURE AREA"
- Enter user ID and PIN (for initial access)
user ID - social security number or issued W id
PIN - six-digit date of birth
- Click "LOGIN"
- Click on "STUDENT"
- Click on "REGISTRATION"
- Click on "ADD OR DROP CLASSES"
- Select the appropriate term and click "SUBMIT"
- If you have any required developmental courses, they will be listed at the top of the page.
- If you know the CRN for the course, you may enter the five-digit CRN in the Add Classes Worksheet.
- If you need to search for available class sections, please see the directions below.
- Once the desired CRN(s) are listed in the worksheet, click "SUBMIT CHANGES"
- You will either receive a:
"WEB REGISTERED" message meaning you have been registered in the course
"REGISTRATION ADD ERRORS" message meaning you have errors that need to be corrected. You may encounter the following errors:
If you encounter any of these errors and need assistance,
- PREQ and TEST SCORE-ERROR
either the course you are registering for has a pre-requisite or you are not eligible to take the course based on your test scores
- DUPLICATE CRN
you have already registered for the course using the same CRN or another CRN assigned to that same course
- CRN DOES NOT EXIST
invalid CRN number
- TIME CONFLICT
course you are trying to register for has a time conflict with another course you are already registered for
- REPEAT GRADE RESTRICTION
you have already taken the course you are trying to register for and made an A or B in the course
- SECTION CLOSED
class is full
please contact Student Enrollment Services at 423-585-2685.
- You can view a detailed schedule of registered classes, by clicking "STUDENT DETAIL SCHEDULE" or "CONCISE STUDENT SCHEDULE" on the main menu.
Search for Classes Online
A step by step guide to searching online for classes
- On the main menu, click "LOOK UP CLASSES"
- Select the appropriate term and click "SUBMIT"
- You can select the appropriate subject and click "CLASS SEARCH" and all sections of the course you selected will appear.
- You can also narrow down your search results by selecting a particular campus, day, time, etc.
- Keep in mind that the more search criteria you enter, the more narrow your results.
- When the available class sections appear, you may click the "SELECT" box on the left of the screen and click "REGISTER" at the bottom of the page to try to register for that course or click "ADD TO WORKSHEET" and the course will be added to the registration worksheet, but will not attempt to register you for the course.
STEP 7: PAY TUITION
The enrollment process is not complete until all fees are paid. Fees may be paid online via StarNETor at any Walters State campus. Click here for a fee payment schedule. For additional information regarding fee payment, please visit the Cashier's Office.
YOUR CLASS SCHEDULE WILL BE DELETED IF YOUR FEES ARE NOT PAID BY THE DEADLINE.